Friday, July 22, 2016

March 28, 2015



March 28, 2015

Written by Maximus Peperkamp, M.S. Verbal Engineer

Dear Reader, 

 
In our garden, the former owner of our house used to have a small patio where she would sit on rectangular tiles. When we took out the big Ash tree, we had to break up that patio, which was right underneath it. Ever since, the tiles had been stacked on top of each other behind the house. Yesterday, because my wife was complaining about the ants that are coming into our kitchen, I looked at these tiles and lifted one up. As I suspected, there were thousands of ants underneath these tiles. With each tile I lifted up, I saw thousands of eggs and ants. No wonder we had been plagued by ants with these tiles stacked just below our kitchen window. 


This gave me an idea to use the tiles to build a pyramid for the little Buddha statue which someone had given to me as a birthday present. Not knowing what I was doing, I started stacking the tiles on top of each other. First, I made a platform. Then I added another layer and then another one, and so on. It fitted together perfectly and I used the tiles to make the steps that were leading to the top of the pyramid, where I made a small temple in which I placed the statue. The structure looks beautiful and when the sun is setting, the rectangular shapes throw nice shadows. It is so satisfying to have used these tiles for this purpose and to have created such a pleasing result by just rearranging what was already there. Plus, the ants are gone now that this unusual temple has been created. The place where the pyramid was build is where the patio used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment