Sunday, February 5, 2017

October 22, 2015



October 22, 2015

Written by Maximus Peperkamp, M.S. Verbal Engineer
                                                                                                                                          

Dear Reader, 

This writing is to explain Sound Verbal Behavior (SVB) to you. You have had instances of it, but you have never had it deliberately, consciously, continuously, consistently and skillfully. You don’t need to practice to achieve SVB. In fact, as long as you think you can do it, you are not going to have it. SVB is acquired without any effort once you will become more often involved in SVB. How is that going to come about, you might wonder? Unless you are going to be in my Principles of Psychology class or become my mental health client, I will probably not meet you that much. 

Most likely, you will have to figure out SVB, like I did, on your own. I can tell you how I stumbled on it. I say stumbled as there was really no way of avoiding it. My life at the time was one big mess. I was unhappy and feeling rejected and I didn’t know where I was going. I was especially upset about how people interacted with me, so much so that I decided I didn’t want to talk with anyone anymore. My despair was such that I feared I was going insane. They only way to save myself was to stay put and to allow myself to calm down and think. It was during this period of crisis that I, like many others who went crazy, began talking out loud with myself. It immediately calmed me down and it made me feel so good that I kept exploring it further and further. I explained to myself why I was in the situation I was in. At that time, I sat by myself, on a carpet, in the empty attic of my house. Since I had studied classical singing for many years, I was used to listening to my own sound. I noticed that I sounded calm and that I was feeling relaxed.

It was unbelievable. I was in a deep existential crisis, but by speaking a few words out loud to myself, I regained a sense of clarity which I had been missing for a long time. I felt as if I became charged with energy. I was worried that I was merely fooling myself and went to my friend Lak and told him what had happened. He acknowledged what I said and agreed that I sounded better than last time he had heard me. He liked to listen to himself while he speaks so much that we engaged in a long conversation in which we explored this new phenomenon. It was clear to him that I was more familiar with listening to myself than him. Instead of taking offense, he laughed and fooled around each time I ‘caught’ him while he was not listening to himself, each time he was going on a rant (he used to drink and smoke pot) or was distracting my attention from something I was trying to point out. He caught on really quickly and noticed that I too was often not listening to myself and he corrected me when that happened. By correcting and co-regulating each other we discovered a new way of talking, which we had never experienced before. It was so delightful and interesting that we would talk sometimes for a whole day while walking through the streets of our hometown, the parks, the beach and the dunes. On our way we met people we knew, but we also talked with total strangers and after we introduced them to what we were doing, they joined our conversation.
I was not as experienced as I am now and our talks often ended in some kind of disagreement, but each time I went back to my attic and talked with myself again, I realized I had stopped listening to myself. By talking out loud with myself, I could hear again how I sound when I listen to myself, when circumstances are such that I am capable of listening to myself. It took me years to find out what is needed to listen to myself. Slowly but surely I became capable of creating the right circumstances. 

As Lak had reinforced my first SVB baby-steps and as we had such fun talking with each other, I organized meetings at my house in which we explored this phenomenon. Lak and many people who came to these evenings were mainly interested in esoteric stuff, but this new kind of talking brought reality back to their lives. Although some meetings were better than others and it was initially difficult to get people to join, the meetings were so successful that I wanted to go on no matter how many obstacles I encountered. It was apparent from the beginning that SVB required an environment in which I made some adjustments. As more and more people became familiar with it, my teachings were reinforced and more and more SVB become available. I am telling you about this history as it helps you to say these words out loud, to listen to yourself and to realize that you can achieve SVB on your own and then begin to share it with your friends or those who are close to you. It can and it will spread in this way and it hasn’t and it couldn’t be spread in any other way as we haven’t explored the interaction in which we can have our unique expression. 

Although you may think you already have SVB, I claim that you haven’t. My claim is based on the thousands of conversations in which people have told me that they realize how little SVB there is in their lives. For many it is quite shocking and embarrassing and our inability to create and maintain SVB environments exposes our lack of knowledge about human interaction. You will find that it is easier to have SVB on your own, by yourself than with others. When you are alone it is easier to equalize speaking and listening behavior than when you are in conversation with others. When you first taste SVB on your own by listening to yourself and by speaking this text out loud, you will be much better prepared to have it with others as you will be able to notice when they are not listening to themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment