Saturday, February 17, 2024

 

Hole,

 

I am not an expert in astronomy, but I have read, that a black hole is a region in space time, where gravity is so strong, that nothing including light and other electromagnetic waves has enough energy to escape it. Black holes are formed by gravitational collapses of massive objects, such as stars or galaxies. I don’t find use of metaphors productive, but in the case of a black hole, I make an exception.

 

In this writing, I will refer to our habitual, unnatural,  unconscious way of talking – in which we produce what I call Disembodied Language (DL), in which we, as speakers, do not listen to ourselves – as a black hole. Black holes are often personified and talked about in terms of human actions, such as eating, devouring, and spewing matter. Often, black holes are depicted as predators, beasts or monsters.

 

Although a black hole is not really a hole, but just a metaphor, we are not very sophisticated about our use of language and this is why, many view a black hole as some mysterious space entity, which is up to no good. Perhaps, it helps to reflect on the meaning of a metaphor, as a writing or communication tool. It gets messy really quickly with metaphors, because the entire notion, that there is language inside of us and that we think, is – in and of itself – a metaphor.


To be clear, here are a couple of common metaphors, so that everyone knows why thinking is also a metaphor. Time is money. No man is an island. He had a heart of stone. Laughter is the best medicine. He was a late bloomer. Age is a state of mind. She was living in her own bubble. So, a metaphor is a figure of speech that describes an object or action in a way that isn't literally true but helps explain an idea or make a comparison. Likewise, I think therefore I am, is also a metaphor. 

 

We never talk about the metaphor, that we think, because our dull, insensitive DL simply doesn’t allow us to do that. We need Embodied Language (EL), to get clear about the undeniable fact, that so-called private speech – that, we can have a quiet, inner conversation, inside our head with ourselves and we are thinking about our thinking – isn’t the same as talking out loud with ourselves. In other words, metaphors, will only help us to learn, by making useful associations, as long as we are not getting completely carried away by our fantasy language.

 

Our DL is a black hole, because we never even talk about the immense difference between our EL and our DL, between real human interaction and the pretention or the assumption of communication. We need to have EL, to be able to talk about the great difference between DL and EL. Indeed, we have to lighten up, to get out of our dark hole of DL.

 

I can only laugh, if there is EL. All the amusement that is based on DL, I find utterly boring. Yes, you cannot laugh with me, because of your automatic DL, but I continue to have fun with my EL, without you. My humor doesn’t depend on your humorless way of dealing with language. Actually, I am quite comfortable laughing by myself and talking out loud with myself. While you may regard this as a sign of madness, I consider my EL as the basis of sanity.  

 

Make no mistake, it is you, who can’t laugh and who is insane. It is you, not me, who needs someone else to make you laugh, who is a demanding, fanatic, miserable, dissatisfied, angry problem-maker. It is you, who keeps claiming to have the solution for all the troubles, which you keep creating. Your silver bullets never hit the target they were supposed to hit. Such a great wild-west-cowboy metaphor. You are not a straight shooter and you aim at the wrong target anyway. Shooting from the hip with your DL and taking pot-shots, isn’t working, when your goal is to live a happy, fulfilling, peaceful, meaningful life.

 

You need to hit rock-bottom, with your inability to laugh. I will verbally do whatever I can, to help you achieve that deep level of profound understanding. I know, my humor is for me and not for you and that is why I keep rubbing it in, because it feels so good, to get this off my chest. I have no problem with you down there. By all means, be yourself and remain as you are: stupid, distracted, arrogant, superstitious, ignorant and phony. I will continue to do my thing and let you know how much fun I have, up here.

 

During our horrible DL, everybody always pretends to be better than or above someone else, but once we finally can have our EL, we realize, we are truly better off, than those zealous morons, who imagine themselves to be superior to others. I am not in any kind of hole, financially or psychologically. My life is a thorn in your eye and my scornful voice hurts your ears, as I am not bound by your rules of seriousness and denial. I can say what I want to say, that is why I say what makes me laugh, as I can see, you are still trying to run away, while you are already in a hole.

 

You are not as special as you believe yourself to be, and you are afraid of being exposed for your lies. It is funny, to hear you tremble. You know as well as I do, you can’t even keep up with any of your own tragic, repetitive sob-stories. I’m not listening to you, so you have the chance to listen to yourself, but I also just don’t want to hear your DL. I don’t look at you, as I don’t like to look at you. I don’t talk with you, because I have much better things to do.  

 

You are deserving of my rejection. I have such great fun condemning you, while I am moving further and further away from you. I am out of reach. You are on your own – without me – inevitably lost, unhinged and confused. You have never acknowledged, when I was still around you, I gave you comfort, I accepted you, I didn’t force anything on you, but now that I’m gone, you must admit, you are a mess, as you are no longer able to put me down. How is it going for you, down there? Having any fun yet? Yes, I am up here.

 

You put yourself above me, a million times, because I was open to you and honest with you. You put me down so often, but how do you feel now, that I am laughing at you? Your deceitfulness is hilarious and isn’t getting you anywhere. I feel so vindicated where I am, because my EL guides every step I take, but you keep digging yourself deeper and deeper into the hole, you are in, because of your forceful DL. Go ahead. You are doing great, keep on digging, you are getting deep now. How could I write or say this, if I wasn’t standing – metaphorically – next to your dark hole and giving you my loud instructions?

 

You need encouragement, to finish the job. You’ve got to go so deep, that when you look up, you can see the bottom. Hahaha, stop complaining, get on with it. This is what you wanted. This is what you are good at. This is who you are. This is your life’s purpose and you are almost there. Don’t slow down, don’t give up and dig this grave, you feel so entitled to. You have put so much effort and time into it. Nobody could stop you. You have definitely made your point, somewhere, down there. Bye.  

No comments:

Post a Comment