Friday, June 23, 2017

October 22, 2016



October 22, 2016

Written by Maximus Peperkamp, M.S. Verbal Engineer

Dear Reader,

As a psychology instructor and therapist I am challenged to check the consequences of my actions. I am grateful to my students and my clients. It is not easy what I do, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love the communication that is involved in the learning process.

A long time has passed in which I was preparing for this and now it is happening. In each of my jobs I have many opportunities to impact others. A college semester lasts about seventeen weeks. Two of my classes take place twice a week for one hour and fifteen minutes and my three-hour-long evening class takes place only once a week.

There is a different effect visible and audible in the day-time classes and evening class. Also, the evening class is more populated by older, returning students. Younger students more often enroll in the day-time classes. The difference for me is the smaller amount of time I spend with day-time students and the longer time with the evening students.

The time I spend with my students and my clients is proportional to the impact I have on them. A therapy session is only forty-five minutes long, but I let it last fifty-five minutes and most clients are seen once a week. However, some clients I even see twice a week and with them more significant changes become possible and are being achieved.

My clients are satisfied with their treatment that is why I am able to work with them for months on end. Those who have been with me the longest achieve the most. As an instructor I interact with the whole class and can’t do individual work; the challenge of being a therapist is that I am only working with one individual and there is only me and him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment