Friday, June 23, 2017

October 23, 2016



October 23, 2016 

Written by Maximus Peperkamp, M.S. Verbal Engineer

Dear Reader,

The first thing a scientist must do to point out the great difference between Sound Verbal Behavior (SVB) and Noxious Verbal Behavior (NVB) is to create an environment in which he or she controls the conditions that give rise to one of these two universal response classes.

As psychology instructor and as a therapist I see myself primarily as a scientist who provides a stable learning environment. In both jobs I make sure that SVB increases and NVB is decreased. NVB is on an extinction schedule and SVB is reinforced, celebrated and enhanced.

My results are very good. Students write wonderful papers in which they describe how much they learn and enjoy my class and my clients slowly recover from their mental health problems and become happy again. How is all of this possible? I achieve this by changing the way in which we communicate. In doing so I change the way in which we think.

It is inevitable that in class as well as in therapy we go back and forth between SVB and NVB. In class it is at times as difficult as in therapy and in therapy things are as much as matter of studying and learning as in class. As our united focus improves we have more SVB and less NVB.

Even those students and clients who strongly resist and try to distract from it are affected by SVB. It is only a matter of time before they are able to acknowledge this. I calmly build everybody up and I don’t hold their history of conditioning against them. Everybody knows that.

No comments:

Post a Comment