Friday, June 16, 2017

October 4, 2016



October 4, 2016

Written by Maximus Peperkamp, M.S. Verbal Engineer

Dear Reader,

The scientific distinction between Sound Verbal Behavior (SVB) and Noxious Verbal Behavior (NVB) is validated by my work with groups, in the psychology classes I teach as an instructor, as well as by my work in treating those individuals who suffer from mental health problems.
  
In teaching and in therapy one can see the results of the increased rates of SVB and the decreased rates of NVB. Students let me know that they like my teaching and clients tell me that they are benefitted by my therapy. I haven’t always felt so appreciated and honored and I am deeply grateful to each of my students and clients for trusting me.

I am proud of my students and clients as they are changed by my instructions and practice what I have taught. They achieve the results I have predicted. In turn, I am changed by their results. As I write these words I feel a sense of satisfaction with my work and with my life.

Apparently, I have figured out something which nobody else has figured out. Although nobody has been as interested in the topic of spoken communication as I am, I don’t think that anything I say or do can’t be learned and done by someone else. 

During the course of the semester there is a point at which students no longer respond with more NVB than SVB and begin to produce more SVB and less NVB. In my classes this is a group phenomenon. A similar phenomenon takes place at the individual level with my clients. After they have been with with me for some time, their NVB becomes less and SVB begins to stabilize and increase. We notice this together.

Due to the unique behavioral histories of each of my clients the point at which this change occurs is different from person to person. In spite of this variability, the change sets in at approximately the same time as I spend with students, that is, between week 12 and week 15.

What is also interesting is that the evening class, which is three hours long, catches on earlier than my two day-time classes, which also occur on different days and which are only one hour and fifteen minutes long. Although I see day-time students twice a week, my impact is different from my long evening class where we have more time to go into things.  

The problems I face as a teacher and therapist are complex at firsts, but things get simpler as we go. I view complexity in terms of less time spend and simplicity in terms of more time spend. My marriage with Bonnie is uncomplicated as we have been married for thirty two years. We had a lot of problems when we started and I am so happy that we stayed together.

No comments:

Post a Comment