Saturday, June 24, 2017

October 24, 2016



October 24, 2016

Written by Maximus Peperkamp, M.S. Verbal Engineer

Dear Reader,

My ability to distinguish between Sound Verbal Behavior (SVB) and Noxious Verbal Behavior (NVB) is the result of the life I have come to live. Others can acquire my ability too, but they will only be able to do so if they adopt a life-style similar to mine. Although my contact with mental health clients and students is effective as well as pleasant, this contact between experimenter and subject is kept at a minimum.

I am capable of discriminating and separating out stimuli which distract us from perceiving SVB as SVB and NVB as NVB. My personal life is uncomplicated and based on my own level of comfort. I only allow people into my life who can have SVB with me. I am very private. I do what I am capable of and in doing so I am doing what I am good at.

The college situation and the therapy situation allow me to do what I am highly motivated to do. My behavioral history has prepared me to deal with stimuli which many of us seem to consider as uncontrollable. We have been led to believe we cannot change our way of interacting.

Once the SVB/NVB distinction has been made clear it becomes apparent that another way of talking is not only possible, but it is urgently needed. 

As I encourage my clients and students to trace back trouble-some, covert, private speech to the Noxious Verbal Behavior (NVB), overt, public speech from which it originated, they are relieved, grateful, intrigued and moved to find out that only Sound Verbal Behavior (SVB) overt public speech can immediately create positive, covert, private speech, usually referred to as a person’s self-esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment