Sunday, April 16, 2017

May 17, 2016



May 17, 2016

Written by Maximus Peperkamp, M.S. Verbal Engineer

Dear Reader,

I am profoundly affected by reading the papers of my students and that results into this writing. The feedback they give to me instructs me to focus more on what they are writing about. When I read about their apprehension about listening to themselves while they speak out loud when they are alone, I am reminded of everything I have myself gone through. From each paper it is clear to what extent elements of Sound Verbal Behavior (SVB) or Noxious Verbal Behavior (NVB) were part of the student’s behavioral history. It is also fascinating to read that the presence of NVB and the absence of SVB set the stage for a more thorough exploration of the SVB/NVB distinction. Although there are only a few students who report a history with a lot of SVB and little NVB, those who do report more SVB than NVB often do so without realizing that they are referring to NVB, while they think they are writing about SVB. Of course, these concepts are still new and if they would explore them often, they would acknowledge that they were painting a rosy picture of themselves and their family. I experience such students as distancing themselves from me, while those who rejoice in their discovery of SVB and who acknowledge the ubiquity of NVB come closer. This is not imagination. Students who make it seem as if they have SVB can’t wait to get out of my class. Although they did not come any closer, I am convinced a foundation has been laid upon which they can be build and that SVB will be more possible for them in the future. I also witnessed their development during the course of the semester and I noticed that they are more at ease, more social, less stressed, less oppositional, less anxious or pretentious. Although they kept a distance, I have noticed many moments in which they enjoyed positive emotions and togetherness. Their presence stimulates my ability to communicate the great contrast between SVB and NVB. They were validated and praised for their contribution. Undeniably, each of us has a different behavioral history. In this history we can find the causes for why we behave the way we do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment