Sunday, March 13, 2016

May 8, 2014



May 8, 2014

Written by Maximus Peperkamp, M.S. Verbal Behaviorist

Dear Reader, 
 
It doesn’t happen very often these days, but today I don’t know what to write. Usually I come up with something, but this morning I am at a loss for words. It doesn’t matter this happens. It is a nice contrast with always knowing where I’m going. I had a good job interview yesterday in Red Bluff for the position of case manager. There were three people in the interview panel, one of whom already interviewed when I applied for the same position in Oroville. I didn’t get chosen then, but was told to apply for this position, since she believed I was the right candidate to work with her colleague.


There was a question about why I thought I would be able to work with at risk and high risk clients, who are coming from prison. I answered that I relate to them because people who don’t fit in have somehow always been attracted to me. Since I am able to let them know that they are accepted and will be accepted and can fit in if they learn the things they need to know, they are willing to work with me. Although people may initially be defensive, I am not bothered by that and I continue to reinforce qualities they have which are already good and functional. People feel that I connect with them and this determines our collaboration. I have leverage because they sense that I work for them and with them. They feel my support and my concern with behaviors which are wrong and cause them to fail and which need to be replaced.I don’t embarrass them, I accept them and because of that they trust me.


I mentioned some of my own childhood behaviors. I used to climb over fences and on top of buildings that were still being built. These were illegal activities which we tried for the thrill as kids. This story allowed me to illustrate that I know right from wrong and that I am aware of the process of learning that is involved. I compared the illegal activities of the criminals who will be my clients, with the behaviors of children who explore the boundaries of what is possible and explained that a lack of or bad parenting had let to behaviors which got them in trouble. Because I grew up in a family in which law-breaking was not part of our repertoire, I knew I wasn’t supposed to do what I did and so I stopped doing it after being chased away by guards. This gave me the opportunity to say something about growing up and being responsible.


Another question was about what might be the biggest challenge for prisoners to transition back into society? I answered that prison and civilian life are two very different environments, which each require their own set of behaviors. Skills-training is essential for successful transition and this involves treatment plans with measurable and realistic goals. This is a new phase of development in the life of criminals, which may come with anxieties and the resurfacing of old behaviors such as addiction. Also, it may be possible that the stress provoked by their new circumstances triggers unresolved trauma. These matters must be taken into consideration and individuals may need extra help to work through their issues. I think I assured the panel that I will notice their needs, refer clients or give them the help they need. My written reports will keep everyone involved informed.

 
I will let my clients know that their success is my success. As to my ability to have boundaries, I explained a situation with a manipulative client, who had to be hospitalized because he kept saying that he was feeling suicidal. I didn’t have endless conversation with him, but I acted promptly. I called the administrator to inform her that he wouldn’t contract for safety. However, during this conversation he contracted for safety, but when I hung up, he retracted his promise. I called again and then transported him to the crisis unit. In the car he tried to distract me with stories about his clothes and belongings, but I was done talking and didn’t give energy anymore to his attempts. 


Another skill I elaborated on was my lack of fear for the intimidating behaviors some people might have. These behaviors need to be addressed and changed and it makes no sense to dance around them. I have no problem confronting people with facts even if this makes them feel uncomfortable. I am able to make use of the discomfort as a motivator for something which needs to be and should be avoided and spoke about negative reinforcement. An example of of negative reinforcement is a speeding ticket. We avoid a ticket by driving within the speed limit.


I presented myself as someone who is in control, knowledgeable and likable. I showed that I am good communicator and that I am convinced of the power of groups to teach people the social skills which make them successful and productive members of society. I let them know of my willingness to learn and my ability to see my own limitation. I reiterated my ability and willingness to work and collaborate with others. I mentioned my dedication to creating and maintaining enhancing environments in which clients will learn and explore and have novel experiences. Lastly, I emphasized the point of treating clients as individuals and the fact that each person has their own needs. An individualized plan is needed to get people on their feet. It is my goal to teach people the skills they need. I view myself primarily as an educator, who teaches behaviors that are lacking or underdeveloped.  

No comments:

Post a Comment