Tuesday, March 15, 2016

May 20, 2014



May 20, 2014

Written by Maximus Peperkamp, M.S. Verbal Behaviorist

Dear Reader, 

This is another letter type called “Edwardian Script.” I like it for its elegance and gentleness. It makes me feel very sensitive. I wonder what I am going to write when I let that be my guide. That sounds like a magic formula said by someone in a fairytale. 


I am transformed into a green land with fruit trees and colorful houses. I wonder where the path I am on is taking me. It takes me to a river and I am alone with the calm flowing water. The river is wide and I can see the mountains on the other side. I am in the middle of a lush valley and the vegetation is mesmerizing beautiful. 


Suddenly, I am on the other side of the river. My writing took me there. The story tells itself and I continue my journey towards the mountains. As I get closer, the vegetation becomes sparse and as I get higher, I am surrounded by rocks. 


I look back and see the tree line behind me and in the distance is the river and the green orchards which lie on the other side. The valley stretches out for miles and miles and the mountain ranges look  unfamiliar to me. I have never looked at them, but being up here I have a view of where I have been. I didn’t have this view before. 


Although I have reached to this mountain, which I am about  to climb, something tells me that I want to go back to these hills  that are far away. Is it because I want to go back to where I came from or do I really want to see that place which I haven’t seen before?


After turning myself again to the path, I ascended the mountain and went higher and higher. I came to a ridge where I decided to rest and I looked back again. The river and the valley was now much further away and I felt far removed from my past.


As I sat down on a flat rock I looked across the valley, but this time with a sense of certainty. I knew that one day I would travel the other way and I would find the land that would unite me with my ancestors. For now, however, I was on my personal journey on which I was to meet myself. I had no limitations and I effortlessly climbed to the top. 


Will power and joy made me step from one rock to the next. I smelled the air, I listened to the sounds I made and I enjoyed the view. I reached for the higher rocks with my hands and I pulled myself up. I happily reached the peek. I was going to be here for a while and I wrapped myself in my blanket to keep me warm. I closed my eyes and I thought of my past and nothing seemed to matter anymore. 


I had arrived where I had wanted to be and my thoughts were peaceful. After a while I opened my eyes and I saw what I what I had seen before with different eyes. The land of my forefathers had come  closer to me and if I wanted,I could just jump and be there. My words created a bridge and I traveled through space with grace and dignity. The clouds were close and the rays of the sun occasionally came through. 


The first person I saw was my dear grandmother, who just stood there waiving at me as I came closer. Behind her was my grandfather and he immediately put up some nice music. We were so glad to see each other. My grand mother asked me about my mother and my father. I began to cry and I couldn’t speak. It was understood how it was and we did what we always did when I was at their house: we ate and we enjoyed each other’s company. Then, also my father’s mother appeared. She smiled and said that her prayers had finally been heard. I touched her hands and I prayed with her and I was filled with gratefulness. We didn’t open the picture albums that were laying on the table, but we quietly looked into each other’s eyes. There was nothing to say and the music filled the air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment